In order to work together efficiently we set up roles for each member of our team so it is clear who is responsible for which aspects.
Instead of creating new custom rules we used the roles defined in the IBM Rational Unified Process or RUP. If you aren’t familiar with the RUP terminology, please go on and read this article where they are explained in more detail.
And that’s how we defined our team roles:
- Jonas Gerlich as Requirements Specifier
- Frederik Ludwig as Designer
- Julian Merkle as Tool Specialist and additionally also as Change Control Manager
- Micha Oberstein as Project Manager
Since Jonas Gerlich had to left our team the Role of Requirements Specifier is assigned to Frederik Ludwig, although technically it won’t be needed often because the Requirements are already defined and not planned to change heavily.
Aside from assigning roles to a specific person there are also roles that apply to everyone in the team:
- To achieve that everyone will touch the code everyone has the Implementer role
- Our goal is to write tests for all our code so since all are Implementer we decided that everyone should have responsibility for tests as Test Designer